Sarracenia flava

Sarracenia flava

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Weather weather weather.

Ah winter. No wait its not winter. Uh I think it is. Snow! No Snow. Snow! Thunderstorm? 40 degrees? It's spring! No. Weird fall? No. Winter? Yes. But it can't be? Sure is. It's January 26 and it is a weird winter indeed. I have no idea what this is doing for the plants, but it can't be good. Though you might think that a warm winter is good, often it can mean increased fungal activity and rot of rhizomes. That is why I use sulfur. Sulfur? Yes. It's not just from eggs anymore. It's one of the safest fungicides on the market, and I use a lot of it.
After a quick dusting of the bog it's good to go! The sulfur almost completely will prevent any fungal growths on the very sensitive rhizomes.
Since the bog is in zone 5a I have to insulate it in the winter. Most other websites advise a system of heavy mulching. I am very lazy though, so I try a whole different approach to winterizing my plants. The bog, as I'm sure you know, is divided up into two parts, the dirt side and the pond side. To prevent any very deep freezes (most North American CPs hate extended freezes under 20 degrees Fahrenheit) I use a pond heater and a temperature sensitive plug (about 30 dollars for the set). The pond heater will prevent the pond from freezing, and the temperature sensitive plug turns on at about 33 degrees Fahrenheit and turns off at 35. I then cover the bog with some plywood to insulate it. This keeps the bog right at the perfect temperature and the fungicide prevents and fungal growth.
The plug setup with the thermo cube
Stay tuned for the next bog post about the new greenhouse!

2 comments: