Sarracenia flava

Sarracenia flava

Monday, July 11, 2011

Webb's Mill Bog

First of all, Happy July! I have been on vacation in NJ so I apologize for the lack of posts.  Well, today I took a little trip to Webb's Mill Bog, a bog in the New Jersey Pine Barrens. This is my second trip down there and it is one of the coolest bogs I have ever been to. I highly recommend going there if you live in the area. They have Drosera intermedia, rotundifolia, and filiformis. It is located on the border of the Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea and Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa, so some cool forms and color patterns emerge. They also have Utricularia, which I believe is Ucornuta. Enjoy the pictures!
The view upon entering the bog.
The water level was about an inch lower than last year.

Drosera filiformis with Sarracenia purpurea in the background

It's the attack of the Triffids!

Utricularia cornuta...I think

S. purpurea with almost vertical traps

A D. rotundifolia hides amongst the Sphagnum

It's not carnivorous... but it looked cool

This S. purpurea almost has the coloring of S. flava var. rubricorpora

Some cool looking Sphagnum...

I would call this one S. "Easter Island" do you see it?

A floating Sphagnum mat with the remnants of a pine tree

Drosera intermedia

And the plants are reproducing well!

A nice healthy seed pod

D. rotundifolia

D. filiformis with prey



Is it a x courtii? Probably not, just a small purpurea

Another mat of plants

The bog upon leaving

No comments:

Post a Comment