Sarracenia flava

Sarracenia flava

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Flowers and Death

Well it seems we are at the end of the flowering season here, only the rubra ssp. rubra is left to flower,
and I am ready with some leucophylla hybrid pollen for it.  Because of the annoying lack of flowers this year, I decided I would leave most of the pollination to the bees. (If you don't know how to pollinate a Sarracenia flower, here's a good link http://thepitcherplantproject.wordpress.com/2010/09/15/how-to-pollinate-a-sarracenia-flower/
 
Of course with life comes death and I think that because of the wetness of this spring, and the awful weather several of my Sarracenia got fungal infections. There were three casualties (gladly just unnamed hybrids) and a 'Ladies in Waiting' that I think that I will lose.
A little tribute to the rhizomes lost
And with death comes life again


Sarracenia oreophila 'Sand Mountain'

Sarracenia "Excellens Giant"



No comments:

Post a Comment