Sarracenia flava

Sarracenia flava

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Ahhhh!

Well if you couldn't tell from my tone, I am thoroughly upset. Summer has come way too quickly, and is basically killing off every single one of my flower buds. Already I lost that flava bud that was previously mentioned and now my 'Ladies in Waiting' just died too. So besides unnamed hybrids with flowers all I have is a S. purpurea ssp. purpurea that has pink petals! Pink petals are highly indicative of S. rosea or a backcrossed hybrid. So the making of new little Sarracenia plants looks to be greatly inhibited this year. And on top of all of that several of my greenhouse plants that I put outside look like there going into shock and the mexican butterworts are all shriveled from the heat. This early summer is bothersome.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed! It's entirely too hot here in Ohio. I think the plants are shocked since we went from the wettest, coldest May to "And now we return to your summer in progress" June. My flava flowered before it got too hot, but all the rest did so poorly. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ryan. Now this stupid cold front is going to shock all my plants!

    ReplyDelete